DECA students return awarded

Over 60 LHS students competed in the DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) regionals in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, on Nov. 29.

LHS took home 22 top-three finishes, with 11 students finishing first, six students earning second and five students earning third. The students competed in two types of events: a role play event and a prepared event.

Students participating in role play events received a business problem and 10 minutes of preparation time to present a solution to a judge. The students then took a knowledge test to earn a final score. In contrast, students competing in prepared events spent a few weeks researching a written project related to a competitive event, such as entrepreneurship, before presenting it to the judges.

The school’s DECA adviser, John Potter, explained how these events help prepare students for careers.

“Everyone at some point in their life interviews someone for their ‘dream job,’” Potter said. “That is a high stakes moment in everyone’s life and DECA helps prepare students for that moment.”

In the competition, LHS had more top-three finishes than other schools, Potter reported.

Joey Hewitt (12), one of the students who competed in regionals, shared about his experience.

“I think that DECA is an amazing organization because it allows career development,” Hewitt said.

LHS DECA will also compete at the state level. Currently, 65 students are signed up for the DECA state competition in Boise in early February. The national competition will take place in Orlando, Florida, at the end of April.

Another student who participated in the regionals, Sloane Dahlgren (12), shared her experience competing with others in DECA.

“People that I normally wouldn’t be friends with are now close enough that I’d call them family,” Dahlgren said.