Lhs seniors learn value of volunteer work

Ryan Rapier poses with his bowl that he made during the Day of Caring. Photo courtesy of United Way Facebook.

For the second year in a row Lewiston High School seniors spent the first day of school performing volunteer work at locations in support of United Way’s Day of Caring.

The purpose of this outing was to show LHS students the value that small efforts have a great effect on the community according to a Twin County United Way press release.

“I thought it was cool, [and] nice to help people out,” said Tanner Landrus about his experience at the Clarkston Boys and Girls Club.

“It was good to get out there and give back to the community,” said Zane Simpson, who volunteered at YWCA.

To senior English teacher Cheryl Flory, the one-day event was a good start.

“I wish we could encourage additional time for students at the high school to continue with projects, perhaps longer projects to help out the community,” Flory said.

According to the United Way Worldwide website, United Way is a world-wide non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of every individual in every community. The local branch provides funding to many different organizations across the valley.