Track sprints to begin

The LHS Bengals track team held the Lewiston Invitational at home March 20, jumping into the 2021 season with a strong start.
Returning to Sweeney Track, the varsity boys placed third behind Coeur d’ Alene High School with a score of 104. The girls’ team placed first with a score of 153.83.
The boys’ placers that day included Devin Zagelow, who won third in the 400-meter run with a time of 54.56 seconds. Lewiston’s Thor Kessinger placed first in discus with a distance of 134-5. The Lewiston boys team also took third place in the 1,600 relay race.
Other placers included Alec Eckert (third in shotput), Luke Mastroberardino (second in longjump), Jake Skinner (third in pole vault), Laureld Bigler (third in the 1,600-meter), and Payton Bigler (third in the 800-meter).
The Lewiston girls took first overall, defeating runnerup Coeur d’Alene with an impresive score of 153.85. Placers included Madigan Kelly, who defeated competition in the 100- and 300-meter hurdles. Emily Collins, who had a big meet, took first in the 200 and 400 sprints.
Lewiston’s Jennah Carpenter also took first in the high jump, landing a 5-2, and then again third place in the triple jump at 33-5. She placed second in the long jump event, earning a score of 15-3.
The girls’ 1,600-meter relay team placed first with a time of 4:25.44. The team consisted of junior, Ahnika U’Ren; sophomore, Katy Wessels; freshman, Damaris Stuffle; and junior, Emily Collins.
On March 23, Lewiston traveled to Kamiah High School’s facility to compete. Results were unavailable at press time.
The Bengals’ next meet will be April 8 against Kamiah. The Bengals next scheduled home meet will be May 6 during the District II Meet of Champions.