Categories:

Inspiring guest speaker brings new energy to LHS

Kevin Atlas visits LHS Sept. 17, 2024. Photo courtesy of the Believe in You Student Empowerment Program.

The D1 Athlete, multi-millionaire, and motivational speaker, Kevin Atlas, spoke to LHS Leadership and grades 10-12 at Lewiston High School, on Sept. 17. During the speaker’s time at LHS, he brought inspiration, laughter, and new energy into the school, motivating many students and faculty.

Atlas, who is 34, was born with one-and-a-half arms. This was due to his umbilical cord being wrapped around his neck twice, and his left arm being in the middle of it. He was born with his left arm just ending below his elbow. This meant struggling — and triumphing — through a bad self-image, and a lack of self-confidence.

“[It affected] everybody else’s perception and limitations on what I can do,” Atlas said.

Atlas graduated from both military school and Manhattan University. He earned multiple scholarship offers, and by his senior year of college, he was ranked in the top 20 basketball players in California.

His book, Get in the Game, was published in 2019 after he had spent about two years writing it.

He also has a documentary called Long Shot, which can be watched on Tubi for free.

Despite coming from a background lacking self-acceptance and feeling hatred for his “nub,” as he called it, Atlas transitioned into confidence, accepting himself as he is. Atlas’s inspiring story proves that determination can lead to success, no matter the circumstances.

“If you gave me a choice to have my left arm today, I wouldn’t take it,” Atlas said.