Categories:

Two new safety officers hired at LHS

Craig Hannum and Kieran Orlando Thunder Garcia, Photo by Laini Enyeart
Craig Hannum appeared on Bengal Update Sept. 27 for Mental Health Week.

Lewiston High School hired two safety officers this fall, Craig Hannum and Kieran Orlando Thunder Garcia. They can be found around the school, working with Student Resource Officer Katie Whitlock to ensure everyone is safe and secure.

Craig Hannum, Photo by Laini Enyeart

Hannum served in the military for 24 years, 20 years on active duty. He also worked as a suicide prevention program manager for the U.S. Army. Hannum came to Lewiston because his wife’s daughter lives here, and he wanted a change. Idaho was one of the states he had never been to.

Hannum said the safety officer position exists to maintain the safety of the school, students, and staff.

“I noticed that the kids and staff are very appreciative that we’re here,” said Hannum when asked about his favorite part of the job, “and they just — you know — they’re high-fiving you in the halls and saying thank you and wanting to talk to you about serious topics. It kinda makes you feel good.”

Aside from the much-appreciated attention of the staff and students, there are quite a few downsides to the safety officer position. Hannum stated that he doesn’t like breaking up fights.

The most interesting thing he has done so far was The Bengal Update. Hannum had a segment for Mental Health Week, and he thought the technology behind all of it was amazing.

“We had a TV production kind of thing at my high school, it was nothing like this. You know, it was tape. And it broke. A lot. So, that was pretty cool,” stated Hannum.

Hannum said he feels passionate about suicide prevention. He owns a company called T3: The Toughest Topic.

“I travel North America teaching suicide prevention with regularity,” said Hannum. “I want people to know that [. . .] if anybody is hurting out there, I’m somebody you can come to, and I’ll do whatever it takes to keep you safe.”

Kieran Orlando Thunder Garcia, Photo by Laini Enyeart

Garcia, who also goes by Thunder, graduated from Lewiston High School in 2019. He attended University of Idaho and after getting a Master’s Degree in athletic training and a Bachelor’s degree in calisthenics, he took a part-time athletic trainer position at LHS. The safety officer position opened up and he took that as a full time job as well.

Garcia finds the safety job very fulfilling.

“I just walk around all day and make sure kids are doing what they’re supposed to,” said Garcia.

He said he enjoys working with the students and staff at the school, and he also enjoys the surprises.

“I look forward to every day because it’s always gonna be something new,” said Garcia.

One downside with the job is the lack of breaks so he doesn’t get to eat as much as he wants, he said with a smile.

“I don’t get a 15 minute break. Like at my other part time job, it was a 30 minute lunch and two 15 minute breaks,” stated Garcia, who now suffers with just a 30 minute lunch break. “So during those two 15-minute breaks I would normally eat again. I love to eat — I’m a foodie.”

Overall, Garcia is very excited to be here at Lewiston High School.

“I know some students are a little shy with us but you know, we’re always there for students so don’t be afraid to approach us. Don’t be afraid to ask for help,” said Garcia. “It never hurts to ask for help. It never hurts to show your emotions because you never know what somebody’s going through.”

Along with those inspirational words, Garcia wanted the student body to know that he also goes by “Thunder,” his middle name.