New student teachers bring fresh ideas to LHS

As we progress through the second semester of the 2022 – 2023 school year, make sure to warmly welcome the five student teachers that have taken office in the halls of LHS: Dakota Brown, Cali Ahlers, Jacob Spickelmire, Rachael Crabb and Jackson Fuller.
Dakota Brown is currently attending college at the University of Idaho and working on an english degree. She shadows Jacob Dyer in room ST206.
Brown loves to play Dungeons and Dragons and other table games. She grew up in Lewiston and went to LHS, and she loves to be back.
“It’s kind of weird because I went to the old high school, but I’m getting to see everyone that I had when I was a student, and I am enjoying it a lot.” Brown said.
In her interview, Brown expresses her experience as a student teacher.
“It’s been great, everyone I have run into has just been kind. I’ve learned that a lot of the stuff you read in the books is not accurate,” Brown says.
Brown states that she owes her passion for teaching to Mr. Dyer.
Brown says, “I was in his first class in 8th grade. I was 14 years old, and I knew that I wanted to change someone’s life for the better and become a teacher or counselor.”
She is open to teaching 8th grade to 12th grade. She also is very open-minded about where she wants to teach after college.
“I love the Pacific Northwest; I would be willing to go work in Canada and I have family in Nampa, but really anywhere,” Brown said.“[The] door’s always open. I’m generally here until three o’clock, so stop in; I’d love to get to know you!”
Cali Ahler is currently attending college at the University of Idaho and is working on a degree in math and economics. She shadows Brent Jacobs in room SD209.
Ahler grew up on a pheasant farm in Lewiston and went to high school at LHS. In her interview, she explains how it feels weird to be back.
“Sometimes,” Ahler said, “I still feel like a student. I see all the teachers, and I want to call them by their formal names.”
Ahler has always wanted to be a teacher. Her favorite subject is algebra, and she enjoys teaching juniors and seniors. She claims that her biggest inspirations for becoming a teacher are Mr. Potter, Mrs. Bakker and Mr. Cornelia.
“I worked in a daycare for five or six years. That is what confirmed that I wanted to be a teacher… I want to work at LHS because I want to get all the kids I had in daycare back,” Ahler said.
She wants to share this message with the student body: “Keep working for what you want.”
Jackson Fuller is currently attending college at LCSC and is working on his bachelor’s degree in English. He is shadowing Tara Cobley in room ST203.
Fuller loves to play hockey. He grew up in Lewiston and attended high school at LHS. He notes that it is nice but weird being back.
“I graduated in 2017, so I went down to the old high school. Being in this new building is really cool! There are all the new classrooms– It’s just crazy… It’s nice seeing all of my old teachers. That really made me happy,” Fuller said.
In his interview, Fuller expresses that he has enjoyed his time as a student teacher.
“I have learned a lot about the importance of classroom management for sure, and the importance of having connections with students,” Fuller said.
Fuller states that he is pursuing teaching to help kids find their purpose.
Fuller said, “A teacher that motivated me is Mr. Guzman. He helped a lot of young kids find their purpose through the four years they were there [in highschool].”
He likes teaching high schoolers from 9th grade to 12th grade, and would prefer to teach at LHS or in the LC valley after college. “Anywhere close to home,” Fuller said.
Fuller’s message to the student body is: “Control what you can control. Be where your feet are.”
Rachael Crabb currently attends college at the University of Idaho and is working towards her bachelor’s degree in music education and music composition. She shadows Brendan Burns in the band room in the CW hallway, and she is also shadowing at Sacajawea Middle School.
Crabb plays in an adult bowling league, and she played on the LHS bowling team in 5th grade. Crabb went to Camelot Elementary School, but transferred to Asotin in 6th grade. She can teach any grade level K-12 as well as multiple subjects including music, band, orchestra and choir. Her main instruments are the saxophone and percussion, and her favorite instrument is the saxophone.
Crabb has loved her time at LHS.
“I love all the kids, and the teachers are really cool. My job has been pretty easy as a student teacher. I think the biggest thing that I’ve learned is that sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. Sometimes I’ll walk in with a lesson plan and other things will come up, and I just have to roll with it,” she said.
Crabb states that the reason she became a teacher is because of her love for music and kids of all ages.
“My motto is from small to tall,” Crabb said. She wants to be the change in someone’s day.
“I feel like if music is their favorite class I count that as a win. I feel like I have done something right. Being that role model for them and getting them to really love music is big.”
Crabb doesn’t have a preference on what grades she teaches.
“I’m teaching 6th graders, and I’m teaching seniors, and I’m teaching everything in between,” she said.
Crabb can see herself teaching in Lewiston, but she is open to anywhere that is welcome to music.
“Just be yourself. You only get one shot at life, so you should make the most of every moment you have.”
Jacob Spickelmire attended the University of Alaska before transferring to LCSC and is working towards getting his bachelor’s degree in English. He shadows Jenny Whitehead in room CW 107.
Spickelmire grew up in Alaska and went to South Anchorage High School.
“I originally moved from Alaska to Florida to live with my best friend. And I was gonna pursue film school but that didn’t end up working out, so I moved from Florida to here because I have a lot of family that lives here,” said Spickelmire.
Spickelmire has enjoyed student teaching at LHS.
“I think the faculty here is really good. This school seems like it attracts a lot of really great teachers. One thing I have learned is to forgive and forget. I’ve learned to let things go, and not let little negative interactions with students weigh heavily on my mind.”
Spickelmire states that his reason for pursuing teaching is simply because he is passionate about it.
“I’m passionate about education in general, and I’m passionate about the discipline of learning— which I think is in decline in this country. And I’m passionate about the opportunity of helping people reach their full potential.”
Spickelmire says that even though he hasn’t had the opportunity to teach them yet, he wants to teach 9th and 10th grade, and he is wanting to teach at Clarkston high school due to the higher pay and the more organized system.
Spickelmire said, “Remember that just because teachers hold you to high standards doesn’t mean they disrespect you and they don’t want you to succeed.”