Kerns to be congratulated for outstanding win

Kari+Kerns

Kari Kerns

Kari Kerns received the Overall Educational Support Personnel (ESP) of the Year award for the Lewiston Independent School District on May 5.

Kerns, the LHS registrar, manages quarter, semester and final grades and ensures student transcripts arrive at colleges or universities on time.

A nomination for Kerns’ award describes her as “a skilled professional and a role model for kindness and compassion.”
Nominations by parents, students and staff members helped the selection committee – ESP award winners from previous years, supervisors and administrators – determine the award winners at the Thirteenth Annual ESP Awards.

Another excerpt says, “Kari is more often than not, seen working nights and weekends, not because she is asked to, but because she goes above and beyond the scope of her duties.”

Kerns describes how she thinks the Overall ESP award represents all the educational support personnel and their work in the District. She says she considered herself a representative of the ESP when she earned the award.

“I was expecting someone else to get the award. I was shocked and extremely humbled,” Kerns said.

Kerns has worked with the District since 2006, making this her seventeenth year of employment with the District. She expresses her thanks to the high school.

“Thank you to LHS staff and students for letting me be a part of a team,” Kerns said.

Other award winners include Susan Weiner of Webster Elementary School for the Non Direct ESP award and Sue Beck of McSorely Elementary School for the Direct ESP award.