The Bengal's Purr

The student news site of Lewiston High School

The Bengal's Purr

The Bengal's Purr

Swim dives into a new season

The Lewiston High school swim team has begun its 2023 season and already attended several meets, under coach Donelle McKee and swim captains Isaiah Bennett and Maggie Carr, with practices held every weekday.

LHS has attended three meets so far, two in Coeur d’Alene, and one at the University of Idaho. Their next meet will be Oct. 14, hosted by Post Falls.

Isaiah Bennett, one of two swim team captains, said his favorite part of swim is the “social aspect”, which is “like helping people get better with the technical aspects of their swimming stroke and getting faster.” Bennett has placed in the top five at all three events so far, including three third place finishes.

This is coach McKee’s first year of coaching for the LHS swim team. “The coaching is an interesting change of pace from last year…we kept all the best parts of the last coach’s teaching style but with a bit more difficulty,” Bennett said about her coaching.

District competitions will be held Oct. 28, at the University of Idaho, and state competitions will be held Nov. 3 and 4, in Boise.

“I’m looking forward to districts because it has a very competitive environment. Everybody there has a job to do and they’re all hyper-focused on getting it done,” Bennett said.