Collaboration between schools unites drama students

Lewiston and Clarkston High School drama departments caught in the act of James and the Giant Peach. Photo by Leah Schmidt.

As the 23rd annual Golden Throne battle begins, the theater departments of Lewiston High School and Clarkston High School collaborate for the third time to bring the schools together rivalry-free.
Lewiston High School and Clarkston High School collaborated to perform the Roald Dahl musical James and the Giant Peach in December. LHS and CHS drama students worked hard and studied their lines to put on their third converged production. With the holidays being near, the performance would be a great time for families to sit together and watch the high schools unite for a family-friendly production.
 Becci Tank, Ethan Smith, Larry Goodwin and Mel Syverson, the directors of the production, discussed what the duo schools would do for the winter performance. The four decided that James and the Giant Peach would be the perfect story for the students of LHS and CHS to perform. The abundant characters and musical aspect of the show made it a great fit for the collaboration of the schools.
  LHS and CHS cast members worked together to make the set and many costumes. The cast was excited to work together again and see their friends.
  “That’s what makes it fun, you make new friends and get close with old ones,” said LHS senior, Zach Haas.
  The two high schools often have rivalries, but for James and the Giant Peach that was not the case.
  “Immediately there were no ‘Bengals’ and ‘Bantams’. They were a cast that needed titles,” said Smith, a former CHS Bantam.
   The high schools were able to come together to put on an entertaining show, without rivalry. When the show came to a close and the cast members were going their separate ways, they said they felt upset to be parting. And so, the community will eagerly await their next collaboration.