Jones offers life advice to graduating seniors

Sandra Kinney, Co-Editor in Chief

In the September 23, 2016 issue of the Bengal’s Purr, I wrote my very first story for the Bengal’s Purr about the new teachers during the 2016-2017 school year. In that story, I quoted Mike Jones, psychology teacher, saying “I am a 250 lb man with feelings.” That quote became the staple of Jone’s time here at LHS.

In light of graduation, I sat down with Jones to gather some advice for seniors as they pass into life after high school.

“Live your life.” he said, “Don’t live in an ambiguous gray area. Do things, make messes, and try to clean them up. There will be bad times. Don’t let the bad times be too bad or the good times be too good.”

During high school, the one thing Jones wished he had done more of was put himself out there. “That’s how you find out what you like. You only get one shot,” he said.

As a teacher, the responsibility of molding the children places in the classroom is huge, but for Jones that responsibility is one reason that he loves his job. “Sometimes you don’t realize the impact that you have on other people. From a teaching perspective you could say something on the first day of school and students will remember it on the last day of school, and you didn’t even think that someone heard what you said in the first place.” he said.

“I hope students going out into the world live up to their full potential. It’s cool watching them go out and gaining a sense of appreciation for the world around them. There is so much opportunity in every student. Any one of them could impact the world or impact someone around them, and it is exciting to think of how much potential each student has.” he said.

Jones never thought that a student would remember the words “I’m a 250 lb man with feelings”, but that statement began a student/teacher friendship that I will remember for the rest of my life. Mike Jones’s impact on my life and the lives of his students is one that we will always be grateful for.