Zack Moore stays strong through paralyzing accident

Skylar Raymond, Features Editor

Former LHS student Zack Moore was involved in an accident on July 5. Zack graduated from Lewiston High school in 2017 and was a part of the track and football team. His time in high school is known as one of the best in his life. On July 5, Zack and his friends went to the beach and when he dove into the water, he hit a rock and broke his neck in two different places. Zack became paralyzed from the chest down. After being rushed to St.Joseph’s hospital in Lewiston, Zack had to go into emergency surgery to place his C4 and C5 vertebrae cords back into the right spot. “It was the scariest night of my life” states Zacks younger sister, Zoe Moore. “I didn’t even know what to expect, so many questions were going through my mind, like was I going to lose my brother?” During his surgery, all of Zacks friends and family gathered in the surgical waiting room for support. “That was the most emotionally-moving thing I had ever experienced, seeing all our friends and family gathering to help my brother, it was amazing.” After the surgery, Zack was taken to a physical therapy-rehab center in Denver, Colorado for 75 days. He works everyday with doctors and nurses, doing electric stimulation exercises, biking workouts, and a lot of swimming. “I am counting down the days until he comes home, all of our family and friends are so excited to see him. I miss him so much” Zoe states. Zack has two weeks until he comes back to Lewiston where he will continue to work with physical therapists and doctors to improve the daily functions of his life.