New Teachers

Mr. Dyer teaching class

Sophomores aren’t the only newcomers to Lewiston High School this year. As Lewiston High School starts the 2018-2019 school year, adding to the staff are two new teachers.
Jacob Dyer, who teaches English in room 109, worked at Sacajawea Junior High for four years teaching eighth grade English. He replaced Mr. Dabbs, the former english teacher. Dyer has graduated from the University of Idaho, leaving with two degrees: one in secondary education and one in English literature. Dyer describes his teaching style as “tough, but fair with a side of sarcasm, and a little dash of wit!”
The schedule, maturity of students, and environment keeps Dyer happy at Lewiston High School, he said.
Another new teacher to the LHS school staff is Steve Hoffine, who teaches Auto Tech. He replaced Jim Cooper. He taught for about 10 years before coming to Lewiston High School.
Hoffine lived in Wyoming before moving to the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley because he didn’t like the flatness of Wyoming, he said. He went through automotive and diesel programs, earning an associates degree in each of those fields at Wyotech in Wyoming.
Hoffine says his favorite part about teaching is “seeing a student when they understand how something works — where the light comes on,” he said.
Along with new teachers joining the LHS staff, one also decided to stay after a change of plans. Debbie Wassmuth returned for another year teaching health occupations at Lewiston High School rather than making her planned move to the Southern U.S. If she were to begin her teaching career somewhere else, she said, she would have to start over.
As for Ms. Wilson, the former secretary for LHS, she moved to Colorado for a job in finance.