Bengal’s Purr seniors discuss their thoughts on future

Mikey Vidovich: I have mixed feelings on graduating. I’m excited to finally be done with highschool and actually be able to start my life, but at the same time I am terrified to be on my own. College is also something I have mixed feelings about. On one hand I’m upset that I have to go back to school after already spending 12 years of my life in school, but on the other hand I am excited to actually begin training for my future career. I originally wanted to go to a film school, but decided to attend LCSC for nursing and keep film on the side as a hobby. I am very nervous for college, mainly because it will be all my responsibility to make it to graduation, but I know that once I do I will have a degree for a lifelong career. Leaving high school is going to be sad, because I won’t be around all the same people I have been for the past 12 years, but I know that college friendships are more likely to be the long lasting ones.  

Gracyn Richardson: My thoughts on graduating is that it is going to be a relief. In movies, it always displays high school as being the prime-time in one’s life, that it is full of partying, making lifelong friends, and the big “senior prank,” but that’s not the truth. The truth is is that high school sucks. It’s the time in your life where you have to make really big decisions about your future, and even though the counselors and our teachers prepare us for the said choices, none of us are actually ready for them. We all just pretend that we are ready until we finally convince ourselves that we are. But I mean, doesn’t everyone do that whenever they are faced with something challenging? How else would we be able to deal with things throughout life like death or loss without slowly prentending that everything is going to be okay? Graduating is just another step that we all have to take in life in order to be able to move forward, and like it or not, we all have to do it eventually. Graduating from LHS is a bittersweet experience considering that without the school, I really found my real frineds, and those who are just a screw in the mean machine. Without LHS, I would not be who I am.

Erin Kammer: Graduation is a right of passage from living with your parents full time and being under their rules; to having that first fresh taste of freedom. If you would have asked me on my thoughts of graduation at the beginning of the school year you would have gotten a excited person waiting for the day that I would get to walk across the stage. Now I’m not as excited, I’m nervous and not really sure if I want to pursue the rest of my life. There is something in the back of my head saying “you are going to stay in high school for the rest of your life.” The thoughts of college racing around my head are somewhat overwhelming. From touring the campus to signing up for classes it’s been a whirlwind and I’m not quite sure what’s going on anymore. I’m excited to be living away from home in the dorms, but I’m not ready for the 100 plus students to a class, the feeling of going the wrong way, or going weeks without seeing my family.  I’m sad to be leaving all of my lifelong friends behind as a pursue my degree in advertising, but I know they wish me well. I’m excited to make new friends and to meet new people. Overall, I don’t think I’ll ever be ready to “grow up”, but I’m ready to start the new chapter in my life and become the “new girl” all over again.