Can we talk about…..

Students under pressure

K1
As each school year gets on its way, students in every high school sign up for classes that their school requires to get the necessary credits to graduate. Everyone wants to take classes that are fun, informative and useful for life after high school. Unfortunately, it seems like every year students overload their already-full plates with tough classes and too many extra-curriculars.
Advanced Placement and dual-credit courses are wonderful and so useful, but also A LOT of work. Students who go to school for seven hours a day, take college courses, play sports, join clubs, work and still manage to have social lives should be commended. It really is amazing. School is a full-time job, despite anything anyone else says. School can drain everyone, physically and mentally. It’s exhausting.
Everyone’s school experience is different; some students choose to take their education to the next level and challenge themselves with difficult classes that earn college credits and look good on applications. Meanwhile, some students take easier classes because they simply want to get out of high school with a good GPA.
Students taking harder classes can receive a boosted G.P.A., but too many can overload the students and send their G.P.A. down the drain. According to an article by Jeff Hudson from the Davis Enterprise, the number of AP courses you take won’t determine your worth in getting into colleges. Colleges look for people who are talented, hardworking problem-solvers, not just a person who took a lot of AP courses.
Here’s one thing everyone has to remember: Pressure makes diamonds, so don’t expect to shine without a little heat. Applying oneself in every way possible will only better a person, but please don’t stretch yourself beyond your own means.
School is supposed to help you, not hinder mental stability. Don’t wear yourself paper thin. It’s okay to get a bad grade. It’s all right to not ace a test. If taking classes that intellectually stimulate you makes you happy, then do exactly that, but don’t do it for anyone else. Hard classes will make you a well-rounded person. They’ll be fun and you’ll be super proud of yourself in the end when you see that you passed a class designed for someone in college.