Seniors enjoy royal surprise

Prom king and queen Isaiah Schmidt on the left and Selah Chavez on the right. Photo courtesy of Selah Chavez.

Senior Isaiah Schmidt won prom king in May. He has participated in the National Honors Society and is known for making music.
The Bengal’s Purr: How does it feel to have won prom king?
Isaiah Schmidt: Pretty interesting; I was surprised to see I was one of the nominees and even more so when I won. I definitely appreciated being voted as prom king; it was a fun experience.
Purr: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Schmidt: I enjoy making music as a hobby and I’m going off to study business after I graduate.
Purr: How are you involved with the school?
Schmidt: I’ve had some involvement with a couple of school organizations like Ping-Pong Club and National Honors Society, and I’ve enjoyed the sense of community in both cases.
Purr: Explain how you felt at your senior prom.
Schmidt: Interesting is definitely the right word for it. It was the first school dance I had gone to, so I was expecting for anything eventful to happen, but it turns out I was wrong about that.
Purr: What was your favorite part about the prom?
Schmidt: The group of friends I went with to prom had a picnic beforehand at Sunset Park. I think that part was the most enjoyable part of the night.
Purr: Do you have any plans for after high school?
Schmidt: After high school, I will be going to Whitworth University to study business, and I hope to pursue other hobbies there, like music composition and production.

Senior Selah Chavez won prom queen in May. She is skilled in photography and has helped with digital content for the school.
Purr: How does it feel to have won Prom Queen?
Selah Chavez: It was such an honor to win prom queen; it was definitely unexpected.
Chavez: I love photography and longboarding. School is also something I enjoy, but mainly the social aspect of it.
Purr: How are you involved in the school?
Chavez: With the new building came new equipment, so I was the person who created most of the content for the video board in the gym. Along with designing the content for games in the gym, I also live-streamed many of the basketball games. I am involved in leadership, NHS, BPA, and Poetry Club.
Chavez: Senior Prom was such a cool experience, and honestly, it was some of the most fun I’ve had all year.
Purr: What was your favorite part about prom?
Chavez: My favorite part about the prom was getting pictures with Karlin, Steele and Lockard.
Chavez: My plan after high school is to move to Hawaii and work on my photography while living with my aunt and uncle for a few months while I figure out a more permanent setup for myself.