Jillian Felgenhauer joins LHS staff

Jillian Felgenhauer joined the Lewiston High School staff as a speech teacher at the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year. In replacement of retiree Dawn Melton, she has transferred to the staff after working as an instructor for the University of Idaho and St. Maries High School.
Felgenhauer instructs LHS students, grades 9-12 in speech courses. Before her teaching career, Felgenhauer originally intended to study veterinary medicine. She later switched to teaching based on her experiences mentoring high school student volunteers at the vet hospital she worked for.
She grew up in Clallam Bay, Washington, and later moved to Moscow, Idaho, where she has remained for the last 10 years. She attended Washington State University and the University of Idaho.
Her aspirations to teach began with working with the student volunteers at the vet clinic, then taking a few education courses at University of Idaho. Once she figured out that she enjoyed it, she made the decision to return to school for education.
After graduating, Felgenhauer began her career teaching at St. Maries High School, where she taught various English and speech classes. Prior to teaching at LHS, Felgenhauer received additional years of experience while she taught education courses for future teachers at the University of Idaho.
During the transition here, Felgenhauer has enjoyed being a part of the welcoming LHS staff.
¨Coming from a smaller school district, it’s been fun seeing all that this school has to offer its students,” she said. “ We have a great group of students and staff here that have been very welcoming!¨
Her goal this year is to create a fun classroom setting where students gain the confidence to speak in front of others, no matter the situation.
Whenever free time allows outside of school, Felgenhauer enjoys crafting, reading, writing, and playing video games, as well as loving on her two cats.