New policy to decrease “juuling” in bathrooms

Kevin Driskill and other administration have implemented rules in hopes of keeping students safe. Photo courtesy of lewistonschools.net.

In the past few months in the Lewiston School District, the fad of “juuling” has become overwhelming, estimated by Kevin Driskill, LHS’ principal, almost 85 percent of teens at LHS alone taking part in this trend. The extensive amount of bathroom reports that were occurring enacted a new policy for the use of cell phones in the bathrooms, because the administrators think that the use of phones in the restrooms could intermix with juuling in the bathrooms. According to Driskill and Rob Massey, the school’s SRO, they say that they think students text their friends in the bathroom to partake in smoking together.

Announced March 6, the policy of students leaving their phones with their teachers was enacted. The phone policy lays out that only one person, of either gender, can be allowed to go and use the restroom, and that person has to leave their phone with their teacher while they do so. Through this policy, the administrators believe that it will lessen the amount of juul-ers in the bathrooms.  

In a single juul pod, which can last from a couple of days to a week, about 5 percent of the liquid is nicotine. This may not seem like much, but one pod is roughly equivalent to a pack of cigarettes, according to the Juul company itself.  

To start, nicotine causes the pancreas to produce less insulin, which can lead to diabetes, according to the CDC. This also has detrimental effects on the heart, brain and other internal organs.  

As soon as one takes up smoking cigarettes or juuling, it’s like signing a contract with nicotine. The substance is as difficult to give up as heroin, withdrawal symptoms include sweating, headaches, irritability, anxiety, depression, mood swings, and severe sore throats, according to MedicalNewsToday.