Day of Caring

teens help pick up garbage

Sophomores began their first day of high school with an assembly and school tour on August 22.
For the last three years United Way has put together multiple volunteer projects for the seniors on the first day of school. The seniors arrive at school and hop on their designated buses to take them to their projects, where they work for two hours. This year, in order to thank them for their time, United Way gave each senior a free movie pass, t-shirts, and a ‘buy one get one free’ Dutch Bros gift card.
The seniors participated in multiple volunteer projects. Some seniors played volleyball with the veterans at Idaho State Veterans Home. Others spent the day painting and cleaning bathrooms at Opportunities Unlimited, as well as helping to put together weekend food for kids. Others organized cooking materials and repacking food at Idaho Food Bank, hanging clothes and sorting linens and greeting cards at St. Vincent de Paul, and sorting donated items as they come in were also volunteer activities available to seniors, as well as stocking the sales floor with new items at The Salvation Army Thrift Store, cleaning up outside of the Boys and Girls Club, Twin County United Way, around Lewiston High School, YWCA, Modie Park, and cleaning and weeding the garden at The ROC.
Student Karleigh Lyda, who participated in this event at ROC, expressed how it is important to volunteer.
“You can see how it helps to give back to the community,” Lyda said.
On the same day, juniors went to Walla Walla Community College to learn about possible career paths. Some of the seniors participated in Bengal Connections as a way to help sophomores meet each other and learn the layout of LHS.