The Bengal's Purr

The student news site of Lewiston High School

The Bengal's Purr

The Bengal's Purr

Model UN places at state

The LHS Model UN team competed at the 3rd annual Frank MUN Conference in Boise, Feb. 22-25.
Tristan Smalley won Outstanding Delegate and Lucas Wisman was awarded Best Position Paper. The club’s spectacular performance earned them another four years of free attendance at the competition. Students were also granted a tour of the Capitol with help from state legislator Lori McCann.
Model United Nations is an academic simulation of the United Nations, where students learn about diplomacy and international relations by researching solutions to complex world issues from the perspective of their assigned country. Students role-play as delegates from different countries in the United Nations and participate in simulated UN Committees to diplomatically create solutions for real-world problems with the policies and perspectives of their assigned country.
“Model UN is a great opportunity for students to develop strong leadership skills, public speaking, research and writing skills, conflict resolution, and cooperation,” said Crystal Kirk, the LHS Model UN adviser.
Even after all their success, the team is hard at work preparing for upcoming events, which include the 2024 Oregon MUN Conference April 10-15 and MUN Conference with LCSC to be held in May 2025.