The Bengal's Purr

The student news site of Lewiston High School

The Bengal's Purr

The Bengal's Purr

Marching band goes to local championships

Lewiston High School’s Marching Band recently participated in the Pacific Northwest Marching Championships Oct. 14 at the Union Stadium in Mead, WA.
Out of the 16 competing bands, LHS took 12th place. Their performance consisted of playing ”The Rite of Passage” with soloists Avery Stevens(flute) and Ryan Carper (trumpet), as well as two drum majors, Mykal York and Savannah Bedard.
Participating schools consisted of Peninsula, Kamiakin, Granite Falls, Cle Elum-Roslyn, Highland, Clarkston, Mead, Central Valley, Cheney, AC Davis, Eisenhower, Chiawana, Mt. Spokane, and Ridgeline High School.
“My favorite part of the competition was the first moment we entered the field and the students were able to get their first live competitive show in front of an enthusiastic audience,” the marching band adviser, Brendan Burns, said.
When asked about why she joined the marching band, Stevens said, “I really liked the team aspect of it; we were all working together and we were all working towards a common goal.”
Students rode a bus up to the competition, competed early for the preliminary competition, watched the other bands perform, then saw the best-ranked bands at the end.
“I enjoyed getting to meet everyone from all the other schools that are also really dedicated to the marching band,” drum major, Mykal York, said.