Remembering Sonya Currin

Remembering Sonya Currin

On Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023, Sonya L. Currin, a beloved and well respected custodian at Lewiston High School, passed away at the age of 55 from cancer.
As she prepares for the holiday season, Nellie Currin, Sonya’s mother, wanted to remember her daughter and thank the district for everything that it’s done for their family.
Sonya’s story began July 24, 1968, in Lewiston. Even at a young age, she exhibited a remarkable talent for storytelling, dry humor,and an open-minded personality. Sonya grew up in Weippe, Idaho and attended Timberline High School, where she graduated with the class of 1986.
According to her mother, Nellie Currin, Sonya was a free-spirited, nature-loving child.
“[Sonya] was a happy little girl. She loved to camp, and she told lots of stories.”
Sonya’s adventurous spirit continued to flourish into adulthood. She had an undeniable love for the outdoors and cherished the thrill of four-wheeling whenever she visited her cabin in Soldiers Meadow, often taking evening drives to observe the wildlife in the area.
In addition to her outdoor pursuits, Sonya also had a knack for cooking. In her free time, she gained an impressive collection of salt and pepper shakers.
Family was also very important to Sonya. She was a single mother to her son, Glen Currin, who, according to Nellie, she was very proud of.
Sonya’s kind-hearted nature left a lasting impression on those who knew her. According to Tim McDowell, a custodian at LHS and close friend of Sonya, “she had a heart the size of Texas. She seemed like a grump on the outside, but once she warmed up to you, you could see she had a heart of gold.” Nellie emphasized Sonya’s affection for the students at LHS, describing the school as her second family. She especially held a special place in her heart for the handicapped students, often sharing heartwarming stories of their interactions.
Furthermore, Currin was a fantastic story teller. As a matter of fact, in a Bengal’s Purr article titled “LHS buildings spook staff” Sonya was cited multiple times telling of her spooky and supernatural encounters in the old LHS building. To check out that story visit bengalspurr.com.
“She’d always joke about graduating,” Nellie said, “She’d say ‘3 more years and I can graduate from highschool. I’ll be a 30-year graduate!’”
McDowell expressed that some of his favorite memories with her were when she’d fill him in on all the gossip within the district during their smoke breaks.
“She was a real good kid,” he said, “LHS isn’t gonna be the same without her.”
Even in death, Sonya will be remembered and cherished for her hard working nature, go-getter attitude, and welcoming personality.