The Bengal's Purr

The student news site of Lewiston High School

The Bengal's Purr

The Bengal's Purr

Drama Club springs to One Acts and Bengal Follies

LHS+drama+students+take+the+final+bow+of+One-Acts+2024+
LHS drama students take the final bow of One-Acts 2024

LHS Drama just finished its 2023-24 season, from a classic drama in the fall to a fun talent review in May.
In the fall, the club put on A Christmas Carol. The show ran Nov. 1-6 with many featured students, new and old. In December the club toured schools with the LHS Gold Voices for the annual Christmas play.
In the spring, Bengal Drama wrapped a stage production of Beauty and the Beast. The cast consisted of Jenna Clift as Belle, Cale Wilponen as Beast, and Dekin Carney as Gaston. The show went on for six nights and only good things have been said about the show.
After the spring musical it was time for students’ one-act productions. These short plays are written by LHS seniors and performed by the rest of the club.
“They are student-written, student-acted and student-directed,” Carney said. He added that they deserve more attention than they get because they are overshadowed by the spring musical.
One-acts showed May 8 and had nine different acts. Jessica Riggs wrote “A Small Rob-erry” with Chayli Chastain as assistant director. Kaitlyn Thornberry wrote “FSGOI and Roll for Initiative” with seniors in the cast consisting of Mykal York, Wilponen, Lily Smith and Madeline Gibson. Zachary Steadman wrote “Moving Forward” with Willow Mullen.
A week later, the club opened its annual Bengal Follies, allowing students the entire school to feature a chosen talent. Many were from the spring musical, such as Clift who sang “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” by Andrew Lloyd Webber; Steadman and Riggs performing “The End of the Line” by Neil Bartram; and Cale and Annika Wilponen singing “Anything You Can Do” from Annie Get your Gun. The Follies provide an easy close to the drama club’s season.
Exciting things are to come for next year’s season, with the fall show, Much Ado About Nothing, and the spring musical, The Wizard of Oz.