The Bengal's Purr

The student news site of Lewiston High School

The Bengal's Purr

The Bengal's Purr

Hardcore band “One Step Closer” embraces their bright future with All You Embrace

Photo Illustration by Declan Cattrysse

Artist: One Step Closer
Release date: May 17, 2024
Genres: Alternative/Indie, Rock, Punk (Straight Edge Hardcore)
Label: Run for Cover Records

Perhaps one of the more unknown bands in the hardcore/punk scene, Pennsylvania’s One Step Closer, has been dropping great music since 2016, and they have yet to sacrifice their aggressive sound. It consists of song after song of vocalist Ryan Savitski belting raw screams with soft melodic vocals to back, packaged with shreddy guitars reminiscent of the early emo music of bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy.
Their new album, “All You Embrace,” was released on May 17, 2024, and received a positive response. It perfectly combines somber melodies with quick and angry punk-inspired riffs aimed to tear up a stage. In an interview, Savitski said, “We know what we want to do with the band. We’re just naturally writing what feels right to us.” What feels right is All You Embrace, a collection of 11 songs that show One Step Closer reaching for something sincere and, as always, authentic.
Every song off the album is undeniably a hit, and “All You Embrace” is a success. From the opening track, “Color You,” a melodic wave of harmony, to the bittersweet ending track titled “So Far From Me,” a ballad that is sure to leave you wanting more from the Pennsylvania rockers, there’s no argument that One Step Closer knew what they wanted from this record.
“All You Embrace” by One Step Closer receives a 4/5 from the Bengal’s Purr.