LHS students plan for great futures of helping others

Hammond’s Company Executive Officer, Second Lieutenant

Hammond practiced a mass casualty situation.

During the summer, many people from all over the United States went to basic training. One of them is Donovan Hammond, a Lewiston High School senior, who has said he has always wanted to join the military “It has always been a dream of mine to defend this country that I love so dearly and I’m proud!” This is why he enlisted in the Army on November 3 of 2019.

Hammond’s basic training lasted ten weeks, and each branch learns something different. There are three stages to the training, being the red, white, and blue phases. 

During the red phase, Hammond got to learn about tactical movements, mass casualty situations, army life and the values of a soldier. In the white phase, he got his weapon and learned how to shoot, clean, and take it apart. He also had to take part in an eight-mile march while carrying a 35-pound backpack. Finally, in the blue phase, Hammond learned all of the drill commands and practiced for the last march. It was a four day, 40-mile march done at night. There was also a night course that required him and the other trainees to crawl with all their gear and weapons for 300 meters.

Not only did Hammond learn all of that in basic training, he learned other important lessons too. “I learned a lot about myself and how much it really takes to push through to the end and get home, and that working as a team is super important in any situation and that you should always trust someone.” 

The next step for Hammond is to wait until he can do active duty and make it his career. He stated, “I knew right when I put those boots on that it was for me.” 

Not only are there Lewiston High School students wanting to go into the military to serve the country, but at least one wants to go into the One World Center; and eventually into the Peace Corps, like Logan Hunt, another senior. 

The One World Center (OWC) is a program for people who want to do volunteer work around the world, and it does not require a college degree, while the Peace Corps does. “I’ll be doing this to get some volunteer work under my belt before going to college and hopefully eventually the Peace Corps,” said Hunt. 

Training for the OWC involves fundraising and learning about the culture of different countries that may need help. While overseas, there are projects like building schools, teaching, and offering help to people who need it in their daily lives. To prepare, Hunt has done his volunteer work, been saving money, and visited the One World Center. 

Hunt has decided that this is something he wants to do in this past year or two. “I really look forward to being able to give back, meet new people, and gain really good experiences.” 

For Hunt, all he has to do to prepare now is to raise money and graduate from school.