Bowman joins LHS staff after teaching at local middle school

Lauren+Bowman+

Lauren Bowman

Lauren Bowman joined the LHS staff at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year. She and several others transferred here from what is now Sacajawea Middle School.
This year Bowman is instructing students in algebra, geometry and Math Connections. Before coming to Lewiston, she taught at King George High School in Virginia. At the local SMS she taught math and history for the last three years.
Bowman aspired to teach as early as her sophomore year of high school. She found inspiration by helping classmates in their academics, she said.
“I enjoyed tutoring other students about the material we were learning in class and the feeling of accomplishment that I got from helping them,” Bowman said.
Helping others became a fundamental reason behind her career choice. Bowman’s mother had also been a teacher.
Bowman attended Grove City College in Pennsylvania, where she was able to try student teaching in multiple schools.
“(That) further confirmed my love of teaching!” Bowman said.
Transferring from Sacajawea to LHS had been a positive experience for Bowman. She said that she enjoys working at LHS and that she can sense the progress her students have made since freshman year.
As she enjoys watching her students’ progress, she has made goals for herself to allow them to do so.
“(I want) to get to know my students well and to have fun with them, even and especially while doing math,” Bowman said. “(I hope) for my students to know me, and for my students to grow, mature and take on more responsibility throughout their time in my class.”
Along with her love for math, Bowman enjoys gardening, baking, dancing and time with family.