First day of school extends to community

For the first time, LHS seniors kicked off the beginning of the school year with a United Way Day of Caring. Approximately 260 seniors volunteered at 23 locations including the Lewiston City Library, the Idaho Food Bank, the Willow Center and the Jackson Baldwin Falls.
While the seniors volunteered, LHS juniors toured the University of Idaho and Lewis-Clark State College.
These activities were a change for the first day of school, according to LHS principal Kevin Driskill.
“The first day of school has been primarily focused on Bengal Connections [orientation], which includes some seniors but really focuses on sophomores,” Driskill said.“The college tours and the Day of Caring involves everyone.”
Driskill visited five volunteer sites.
“It was amazing to see our students working hand in hand with our staff,” he said. “Hard work is not always the most fun, but the level of involvement was amazing.”
Considering the size of LHS as a 5A school with 1052 students, Driskill said he feels pride in its level of community involvement.
Mick Wimer, a retired 42-year veteran teacher of Jenifer Junior High, saw the hard work first hand with his neighbors.
“As I approached, [LHS teacher] Jeff Karlin came up and explained that [the workers] were not prisoners, but seniors who wanted to help with the landscaping!” Wimer related in an email.
He added that the effort impressed his 80-year-old neighbor.
“He said he is glad to see LHS students who care about people… and this renewed his faith in youth,” Wimer said of his neighbor.
For students who seek other volunteering opportunities, LHS counselors have more information.

A group of seniors pick up trash as a part of Day of Caring. Photo courtesy of Christina Cahill.