Choir students represent LHS at All-State Music Festival

Last Fall, students from all over the state sent in auditions for Idaho Music Educators Association’s All-State Music Festival, which was held at Idaho State University in Pocatello from Feb. 1-4. To attend, students waited until Dec.ember to receive confirmation of selection and music assignments. Students had two and a half days to practice with their groups until performances on Dec. 3 and 4.
Among those chosen to represent LHS in the All- State Jazz Choir were Maya Conklin, Madeline Gibson, Mikaela Pennington, Max Schaefer, Caedmon Leister and Aubrey Woods.
LHS students in the All-State Mixed Choir included Ayden Diaz, Grace Mitchell, Zach Steadman and Cale Wilponen.
In the Treble Choir, LHS was represented by Katelyn Holm, Sierra Sedgwick, Lilly Smith and Daisy Willis.
Finally, Lane Riggs and Braeden Chenault represented LHS in the All-State Band and the All-State Jazz Band, respectively.
Wilponen shared his experience.
“Even just seeing the other ensembles was amazing,” he said.
Grace Mitchell also talked about her time at All State, saying it was very fun, and that the environment was very welcoming. She felt that she was able to make a real, personal connection with the directors and that she was also able to learn a lot from them.
Some students from the All-State performance also participated in the All-Northwest in Bellevue, Washington, a performance for the top singers in six Northwestern States. The students who attended were Maya Conklin, Mikaela Penington, Lane Riggs and Lilly Smith.
Anyone interested in auditioning next year can contact Choir Director Julie Burke, in Room LC 101 or at [email protected].