DECA demolishes at state, off to nationals

After the DECA state competition March 9-11 in Boise, 42 out of 50 LHS students competing qualified for Nationals.
  Those 42 students will compete in Nationals next April 26 through May 1 in Anaheim, California, for Distributive Education Clubs of America, which, “…prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools,” according to DECA.org.
  According to adviser, John Potter, LHS has the largest DECA chapter in the state of Idaho.
  “It went very well –we have great kids,” Potter said of the state competition.    Students walk away from DECA with many skills to help assist them with future education and job opportunities. Such as sophomore, Lydia McRoberts, who qualified for nationals in principles of design.
  “I was really excited but shocked I placed,” McRoberts said. “I like DECA because it will help me get a job.”
  Seniors Ty Austin got second place at state in hospitality services with senior Emily Hunter. Based on his experience at nationals last year, Austin is looking forward to the trip to Anaheim.
  “It was awesome to meet so many people. We met kids from China, Brazil and Virginia,” Austin remembered.
  According to Austin one of the most beneficial aspects of nationals is the variation in judges.
  “Last year, we had a rude judge but it gave us a lot of experience,” he said. “We learned so much about working with difficult people and how to apply business skills… in the real world.”
   The DECA students fundraise all year to compensate for the $55,000 group trip budget. The DECA store (open before school and lunches), sponsorships, and Pampered Chef sales are funding the trip this year, according to Potter.