Bengal softball singles in on season standings

The varsity softball team struggled this season ending the year with a record of 3-15 as of May 3, the last regularly scheduled game of the season. Sandra Kinney said “even though our league ranking didn’t go as we hoped, we grew closer together as a team and learned a lot from each other” when asked how the season went.
They went to Boise to play Boise High School May 13, this game decided if the Bengals would move on to state. The Bengals went 2-1 at districts.
Even early in the season, senior Shay Brown felt optimistic for the team.
“The season’s going pretty good,” Brown said. “We have lost four games and won three, and we want wins for the rest of the season.”
March 27, the Bengals played a doubleheader against Moscow High School at Airport Park and won the first game with a score of 10-2, then won the second game with a score of 8-4.
March 31 the Bengals traveled to Boise to play Centennial at Centennial High School, and won the game with a score of 3-0. While in Boise they also went to Meridian to play a doubleheader against Rocky Mountain at Rocky Mountain High School, April 1. They lost the first game with a score of 6-1, then lost the second game with a score of 4-3.
April 15, at the first game back since spring break, the Bengals played a doubleheader against Lake City at Airport Park and got swept by Lake City. They lost the first game with a score of 12-0 and lost the second game 11-0.
The Bengals played a doubleheader against Coeur d’Alene High School at Airport Park April 18. They lost the first game with a score of 6-0. The second game they lost with a score of 4-0.
April 22, the Bengals played a doubleheader against Lake City at Lake City High School and lost the first game with a score of 6-1, for the second game they lost with a score of 5-1.
April 26, the Bengals were scheduled to play Post Falls, but it was unfortunately rained out and postponed.
The team found greater success after the rainy stretch let up.
“I think that we’re getting a lot better, since there’s been a lot of rain, we haven’t been able to practice outside as much as usual, so now that it’s getting nicer outside we get to actually play the sport,.” said first baseman, Shantelle Burke.
The Varsity Bengals also held senior night April 26 to recognize their five current seniors: Brown No. 5, Burke No. 25, Andrea Schmecker No. 11, and Brynnan Carpenter No. 29.
April 28, the Bengals went to Coeur d’Alene High School to play a doubleheader against Coeur d’Alene. The varsity Bengals lost the first game with a score of 10-4, and lost the second game with a score of 9-3.
May 2, the last regularly scheduled game of the season before regionals the Bengals played a doubleheader against Post Falls at Post Falls High School and lost the first game with a score of with a score of 11-1. They continued to lose the second game 9-0.
May 3, the rescheduled game from April 26 against Post Falls at Airport Park, the last home game of the season. The Bengals won the first game with a score of 5-4. The second game they lost with a score of 1-6.
May 9, the Bengals played Lake City in their first regionals game, they lost with a score of 2-8. The second game of May 9, they played Post Falls, they won with a score of 8-2.
May 11, the Bengals played Coeur’ d Alene High School at Coeur d’Alene and won with a score of 9-3

Grace Eller
Cheyenne Rose pitches on one of the last home games of her junior season at Airport Park.