Senior finishes last year with first Golden Throne

Connor+Grainger+prepares+for+first+Golden+Throne.+

Grace Eller

Connor Grainger prepares for first Golden Throne.

As the annual Golden Throne game commences, Clarkston and Lewiston are pitted against each other for the glory of winning the iconic throne, senior, Connor Grainger prepares for his last LHS basketball season.
Apart from state-level competition, Golden Throne is one of the biggest games of the season. This game determines which school has the most school spirit.
Grainger started playing basketball about seven years ago. Even though this is his last year at LHS, this is his first year playing in the Golden Throne game.
As Grainger reflects on the beginning of his high school career, friendship stands out.
“One of my favorite things in high school was chillin’ with the fellas on the bus rides,” Grainger said.
It’s fair to say that every high school basketball player in the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley looks forward to Golden Throne. But it also brings the challenge of playing under booming noise and strong pressure from the fans.
Practices leading up to the game have been more intense that usual practices, said Grainger.
“The practices have a much different vibe and are super-intense,” said Grainger
As this is his last season, Grainger looks forward to his college years.
“I mainly want to focus on school, so I’m not going to play college ball — just gonna enjoy myself,” said Grainger.
Nerves are definitely the biggest factor in this game as noise surrounds the players. This game puts a whole new meaning into “keep calm, play on,” as it forces players to enter the “game face” zone.
“As for the nerves, I’ll probably just throw up a bunch before the game and then I’ll be fine,” Grainger joked.
A big factor in preparing for the game is routine, which creates accountability. Procedure is important to anything having to do with muscle memory.
When his game starts at 8 p.m. hits tonight, Grainger is looking forward to seeing everyone show their spirit.
“I’m super-excited, I think everyone should definitely show up,” said Grainger
Students gather, players warm up. Audience buckle up, because this is Golden Throne.