Lewiston wrestling takes nine to state, two placers

The Bengals varsity wrestling team wrapped up the season Feb. 24, competing at the state level with two from LHS placing in the top 6.

Seniors Max Hill (160 pounds) and Tanner Hutchens (138 pounds) both placed, with Hill in fourth and Hutchens in sixth.

Hill went into his matches at state “with a positive attitude, thinking about winning,” he said.

Hutchens’ main concern was “getting [his] ankle ready.” Hutchens had injured his ankle earlier in the season, making him unable to compete at two duals.

Earlier in the season, the Bengals made their way to the North Idaho Rumble in Coeur d’ Alene Jan. 26-27. Sophomore Cade Hendren (132 pounds) placed sixth, Hutchens (138 pounds) placed fourth and Hill (160 pounds) placed second.

The Bengals had their first dual of the new month Feb. 2 against the Post Falls Trojans, where they fell 16-64. The only wins from the night were Dammon Shaw’s pin at 160 pounds, Kyle Cook’s decision (14-2) at 182 pounds, Lance Lorang’s decision (10-0) at 195 pounds, and Jared Dykes’ pin at 220 pounds.

The following week, on Feb. 7, the Bengals held their last home dual — Senior Night against Coeur d’ Alene. The following seniors were recognized: Cook, Hunter Fliger, Hill, Billy Hobbs, Hutchens, Lorang, Logan Reynolds, Zane Rudolph, Karlin Schlafman, Keegan Sweeny and Zachary Tayor.

That night, Lewiston fell to Coeur d’Alene 37-47.  The wins that contributed to the score were Gage Fiamengo’s pin at 98 pounds, Fliger’s pin at 145 pounds, Taylor’s decision (6-3) at 152 pounds, Hill’s decision (13-2) at 160 pounds, Shaw’s pin at 170 pounds, Cook’s win by forfeit at 182 pounds and Lorang’s pin at 195 pounds.

The stats for the Lakeland dual Feb. 9 were not available at press time.

Feb. 17, the Lewiston Bengals made their way up Lakeland for the regionals tournament. At regionals, each wrestler must place third or better to move on to state-level competition.

Based on their performances that day, the following wrestlers qualified for state: Placing third were freshman Fiamengo (98 pounds), sophomore Owen Hemphill (113 pounds) and Hendren (132 pounds). Placing second were Hutchens (138 pounds) and Hill (160 pounds). Lorang got first (182 pounds), Cook got third (182 pounds), freshman Reuben Thill got first (195 pounds), and junior Dykes got third (220 pounds).