Editor’s Note

After publication of our Jan. 26 issue, it came to our attention that some questioned our treatment of the loss a 2018 senior, the late Megan Beidler, along with our coverage of the Clarkston High School Bantams.
When making decisions about content, we remember the Society of Professional Journalists code of ethics: To seek the truth and report it, to minimize harm, to act independently and to be accountable.
  The Lewiston School District has a policy against memorials. This restricts our options for recognizing any student who has passed. We gave the same amount of page space to Beidler as we did to students LHS lost in the past. Out of respect for families and the district policy, we try to handle each loss with equal coverage. No life lost is more important than another.
  Meanwhile, as seen on page 12 in this issue, The Bengal’s Purr at LHS includes coverage of our neighbors at Clarkston High School from time to time. This happens yearly with the Golden Throne basketball rivalry issue for many reasons. Each year the Bantam Boosters Club donates $300 toward its publication, making hundreds more copies available to the crowd at the game. Clarkston students do not have a journalism program, so none their activities receive Purr coverage year round. Golden Throne is an  opportunity to share our resources.
  With the annual Golden Throne game, LHS and CHS compete but also fundraise for local causes in our community.  It is fair to archive and appreciate these community efforts.

Pie chart courtesy of the 1999 Bengal’s Purr archives.