Elite LHS musicians travel to Rexburg

On Jan. 30, 13 select LHS band and choir students will travel to Rexburg, Idaho, for the annual Idaho All-state Ensemble. They will perform Saturday, Feb. 2, with all of the other top high-school musicians in the state.
  Idaho All-State Ensembles is a large choir that accepts students by audition only.  For their auditions, students send in a recording of singing and vocal exercises, and hope to get selected.
  A limited number of students that can win a spot for this state event, and it’s a big deal to choir students, said Caroline Gibbs, an LHS junior.
  Once students make it to the event, the director gives the students their music material and they get to practice. There are three different choir groups, which are mixed choir, treble choir and jazz choir. Most of what they perform is classical music, and some is in different languages, according to Gibbs.
  This year Gibbs qualified to go to Rexburg for a second time.
  “It’s really exciting. I went last year and I loved it so much and I was hoping I’d make it again this year,” Gibbs said.
  Being able to qualify for this makes her feel accomplished, Gibbs said, since she has worked hard on her singing skills. Gibbs also finds it exciting to compete at the state level, to meet a new music director, and to spend time with others who share her passion for singing.  
  Other LHS students who qualified to attend are: Asiah Keenan, Ahani Galeano, Jenna Gunnell, Emily Harris, Harrison Smith, Hailey Asker, Cody Bloodsworth, Joseph Greene, Noah Williams, Amelia Black, Cheyene Durham and Saebra Woods.