Bengals vote for student leaders

Emmet+Dougherty

Emmet Dougherty

Students voted for the Associated Student Body and sophomore and junior class officers on April 13, though results have still not been announced.

Current sophomores voted for next year’s junior class officers, and current freshmen voted for incoming sophomore class officers in the gym and the auditorium. After the class elections concluded, freshmen, sophomores and juniors headed to the auditorium to vote for their ASB candidate of choice through the 5-Star Students app.

About a week after the ASB elections, the juniors voted for senior class officers. The freshmen class elections will occur at the beginning of the 2022-2023 school year.

Emmett Dougherty, a co-adviser of ASB, explained how the school determines ASB student positions. The top five students who receive the most votes will go through interviews by a staff panel to assess their roles in ASB elections. Afterward, each student will receive one of the five positions: student body president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, or social media director. Class officer positions for the freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors are similar to those of the ASB, he said.

As of press time, the winners of student positions had not been announced. However, those student leaders will eventually make decisions regarding Homecoming, school dances, Golden Throne, and other school events in the upcoming school year.

“I would encourage anyone who wants to have a voice in the school to run for office,” said Dougherty.

Dougherty added that any student is eligible to run for ASB in the future if they are a junior and have a GPA of at least 3.0. The student must also fill out the paperwork and bring the required signatures to the main office before the specified date.