The Bengal's Purr

The student news site of Lewiston High School

The Bengal's Purr

The Bengal's Purr

Powerful Pair For LHS Girls

In the 2023-24 school year, the LHS girls’ varsity basketball team selected Reese DeGroot and Addison McKarcher as team captains. Both juniors have been working hard to lead their team.
“I try to help others in any way I can,” DeGroot told the Purr. “And I try to make sure to maintain a positive environment so everyone has fun.”
DeGroot discovered her love for basketball at a young age.
“I’ve been playing for a long time, and I really love the sport, so I’m hoping it can get me through college,” she said.
DeGroot expressed that basketball has taught her how to work with others and create lasting relationships.
She praised her team’s positivity and close bond.
“We all help each other out on and off the court, and it just makes [the team] really special.”
McKarcher has been playing basketball since 4th grade.
“Basketball has always been a big thing in my family,”McKarcher said. “My brother played, my dad played, and my mom played.”
She exhibited that playing basketball has made her tougher.
“I’ve grown in so many ways playing basketball; mentally, physically, and emotionally… It’s definitely taught me how to deal with different types of people. [. . .] It taught me what it means to be a teammate.”
McKarcher believes despite the losses the team has endured, the positive and understanding atmosphere the players create keeps the team encouraged.
“It’s really a no-drama, really fun team…we’ve been through everything all together, and we all understand each other really well,” McKarcher said.
To prepare for Golden Throne, the team has been both individually and jointly pushing themselves to be their best. During practices, the team plays loud music and noises to imitate the crowd.
“It forces us to talk over [the noise] so that we can talk on the court. We’ve also been practicing playing against certain offenses that Clarkston does so that we know what to expect.”